<
 
 

 

 

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Don't bet on BET

This blog will have information about BlackCloud, music, videos, etc. but I will also provide you all with my own two cents. So here is the first installment of the madness which is my mind.

I love to be entertained just as much as the next man. But when the entertainment is disrespectful to me or people I love, I no longer consider it entertaining. African Americans have been dealing with the ill perceptions and treatment of us since we were brought to this country we now call home. We are constantly portrayed as the ignorant, loud and crass individuals that the majority of us are not. When we are constantly exposed to these falsities it is easy for some to unfortunately accept this images to be true representations of their own people. Sadly I understand this but it doesn't make it ok. Ignorance is bliss but when organizations like BET exploit the negative portrayal of their own people it is doing us all a disservice.
Although there has been some improvements in the depiction of us, there has also been an increase in the ridiculing of black people, especially the youth. BET originally begun to be a voice and place for African Americans in the media. It broadcasted religious programs, gospel music, hip hop and R&B videos, a news show and my favorite Teen Summit. Teen Summit was show that not only allowed young artists a place to broadcast their talents but the teens on the engaged in conversation and dialogue about the issues of the communities and teens them selves. This show was the parent-child conversation that many youths at the time did not or were not able to receive. As the network grew it sought to gain financially and drifted from its original set up. The news was shortened to numerous shorts over the day and Teen Summit was replaced with Hell Date and College Hill.
Even though we love to see blacks in the cooperate world rubbing elbows with the big dogs it just doesn't sit well with me when its at out expense. I feel that too often when "one of us" does succeed and "make it" we often fail to use or new resources in then in turn help another reach the same level success. Furthermore its disappointing to see us using the same stereotypes that have oppressed and marginalized us to benefit financially. I think that it is irresponsible to take a perfect opportunity to broadcast positive representations of black people and replace it with a counterfeit MTV that doesn't represent us at all. I can deal with Hits from the Streets and The Basement but College Hill: Atlanta and the videos the show today I just can't do. So yeah bring those times back. I would love to have a grand solution for this issue but for the moment just join my little protest and not watch the dumb programs that hold us back because if we don't watch they don't make money and have to find other ways to "entertain" us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amachi said...

word... i can dig it... i hardly watch BET any more anyway

March 27, 2008 at 12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

BlackCloud_Clothing@yahoo.com